Friday 25 June 2010

Old GoldenEye dev quite likes new GoldenEye remake!

I've just finished transcribing an interview I did with managing director of Crytek UK, Karl Hilton, who used to be very high up in Free Radical and before that was one of the team behind GoldenEye on the N64. So I had to ask him what he thought about the remake, here's what he had to say:

"Well I did see it at the E3 show and it looks like they've done a very authentic job. And if there's a market out there for people who want to relive the golden days of GoldenEye then you know...

"It's very flattering that people still think there is so much value in it. It's been a while since I last looked at it, but if you do look at GoldenEye - it's an old game and it looks it! I think people obviously have rose tinted spectacles when they think about it. It's very flattering that people have such fond memories of it to such a degree that there's still a viable case to remake it and that's great! And I suppose it benefits me because as long as people keep talking about GoldenEye then I can keep riding that bandwagon a little bit longer - every time you think that people have forgotten about it finally, it still pops up.

"It's quite incredible for a game that, you know, it does get into that pantheon of classic games that people continue to talk about years and years later. And the version I saw at E3 seemed like a very nice version.

"As much as I love that game you want to move on and do the next thing, and all of Free Radical was about us trying to, well not drop the GoldenEye tag, but do something that people would talk of with the same awe 'yes that was a classic game'. We think we did some really good stuff, obviously nothing achieved that level of notoriety."

And then Karl said: "Timesplitters has a fan base and there's an online community fr it and you know... that's not a dead franchise yet."

Is that a hint at Timesplitters 4?! Well Karl laughed and said: "I couldn't possibly comment on that."

Dammit!

Anyway here's some vids of old GoldenEye and the remake (I didn't make the vids obvioulsy):



1 comment:

  1. But how on Earth will it compete with Modern Warfare?

    ReplyDelete